July 21, 2009
I have been relaxing a little over the last month, but I am now finished fixing the helm chair, engine box, and helm. I also made and mounted the many 50 x 8 mm moldings on both sides, and made the seat arrangement behind the helm chair. So now there's not much left to do in the wheelhouse.
The moldings were cut from a 3.5 meter long piece of mahogany of 120 x 70 mm, then planed down to a thickness of 8 mm and the edges rounded with the router. Eventually, the moldings have been sanded with sandpaper - all in all a lot of work. The mounting, on the other hand, was quite easy, it was just a matter of measuring properly and be accurate.
Correcting and repairing the wheelchair and engine box was not the easiest job. Both were very skewed and I had to compromise to keep the old parts. But it's not supposed to be a new boat, so I'm fine with that. I had to take the helm chair completely apart and reassemble it in order to correct the skewness. I made a new handrail on the side of it and extended it down to the floor. The footstool, which previously contained the gasoline tank, has also been corrected and will now function as the boat's battery box.